TRANSPORTER BRIDGE: Funding of £8.7m to repair and restore accepted
Funding of £8.7 million to repair and restore “the most iconic feature on Newport’s skyline” has been accepted by Newport council, subject to additional Welsh Government funding.
Newport’s Transporter Bridge will be restored and repaired using the National Lottery Heritage Funding of £8.7, subject to the Welsh Government confirming match funding.
The cabinet has also agreed to accept liability of £365,000 for the unconfirmed match funding to provide the heritage fund with the reassurance they need before granting permission to start the project.
Speaking at the cabinet meeting, Cllr Debbie Harvey said it had been a “mammoth task”.
She said: “It has taken a little over four years to get where we are today.
“This is absolutely fantastic.
“It’s a phenomenal application that’s been granted to us in Newport.”
If given the go-ahead by the heritage fund, the funding will repair and restore the Transporter Bridge as well as provide a new visitor centre.
The visitor centre will have a shop, toilets, an exhibition gallery and a café.
Visitors will also have a chance to ride the gondola across the Usk.
The council is also waiting for the Welsh Government to formally approve a £1.5 million grant from the tourism investment support scheme, which will need to be in place for the heritage fund to allow work to start.
£1 million has been allocated from the council’s capital budget to provide a portion of the necessary match funding.
The council aims to start work on the site in May, subject to the relevant permissions.
The project is expected to take 12 months and should be completed in September 22, ready for reopening in spring 2023.
Words: Emily Gill, Local Democracy Reporter
Watch the channel on TV